[pct-l] Food Packages -- Priority Mail vs. First Class

In a message dated 3/11/2004 1:55:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kdpo@pacbell.net writes:

> We use USPS for nearly all our re-supply boxes. We've had one mistake, but
> that was our mistake at the mailing end. The box didn't get mailed. Never
> had significant damage to any of our boxes.
>
> Using Priority Mail for boxes has another advantage when shipping ahead. You
> get free Prioiry Mail boxes

Ken, as I mentioned previously, in your case that's that's the key, shipping
ahead and mailing cross country, Priority Mail wins hands down.

I'd like to know if anyone using a buy as you go strategy from the trail
itself, actually tried Parcel Post and had problems that they can attribute to
that service?

I know I haven't had any, so it wouldn't really make sense to change
strategies now.   Also the grocery stores where I did the bulk of my resupplying in
Cascade Locks and Ashland had free boxes as most all stores do.

One tip that, may or not have been mentioned, is to write your last name in
large letters on the sides of the box so it's well visable.  Some of the PO's
do this, some don't.  Also make sure to include your approximate arrival date
and that your a PCT hiker.

Sly