[pct-l] Plagiarism (Was: tips and tricks - problems.)

At 05:07 PM 3/3/2004 -0700, SJ wrote:
>I'd say to leave the information available, it all looks really helpful.  If
>someone doesn't want their comments included in someone's archive then they
>should explicitly state their desires on reuse and copyrights when posting
>messages.  If they didn't mention anything in the original post then it's
>too late to cry about it now.  Litigious Americans make me sick.

There are problems with the above statements of which, everyone should be
aware.

 > "If someone doesn't want their comments included in someone's archive then
 > they should explicitly state their desires on reuse and copyrights when
posting
 > messages."

Copyright law does not work this way, in fact, it's the opposite. Since
April 1, 1989, the U.S. has been following the Berne copyright convention.
This means, in the USA and other nations, most works have implicit
copyright protection whether you see a notice or not. Therefore, the
correct action is to assume the work of others is protected under copyright
law. This doesn't mean the author can't grant certain rights to individuals
or everyone; they can. You simply cannot assume rights to other people's
work you do not have. (My preferred way to grant other people rights to my
work is under a creative commons license.)

There's a good reason for this. Copyright lawsuits are unlike most other
cases. In copyright law, the burden of proof is on the accused, not the
accuser. Here, the accused is the holder of the copyright.

 > "If they didn't mention anything in the original post then it's too late
to cry
 > about it now."

Most lawyers would have us believe if we don't defend copyright, we loose
rights to our work. However, this is false. Still, expect copyright holders
to defend their rights if only because no one likes having their work
borrowed or stolen without permission.

 > "Litigious Americans make me sick."

You may think the posting of the information falls under fair use because
the was for research. Fair use is an exemption to copyright allowing for
research and education. David Tibor's work almost qualifies, but the point
of fair use is to allow people to build on the works of others to express
their own ideas and opinions. Fair use does not grant the permission to
indiscriminantly copy and include the work of others and certainly not
without attribution.

Though I appreciated what David was attempting to do, the bulk of the
information is still available in the PCT-L archives. Some email lists have
the text "Postings may not be re-printed in any form without the express
consent of the author - Please respect their contributions" to prevent this
kind of confusion and not limit rights.