[pct-l] Hitching

Last year I went on a search for a material that could be used as a
"dry erase board" for hitching.  I settled on a piece of flexible
cutting board, as sold in kitchen stores and some grocery stores.  Mine
weighs 3 oz. including the pen.  It wipes off best with a bit of water,
and does retain a bit of each entry, but not enough to render it
unreadable.  One side is pebbled, and the other smooth.  Like all good
hiker gear it has multiple uses:  The pebbled side is a cutting board,
the smooth side is a hitching sign, and I slide it into the bottom of
my pack to prevent prickly things from puncturing my gear when I set my
pack down.  I thought allot about what color of ink would be the most
attractive to a potential driver, and decided on blue (soothing and
non-threatening), but it would be great to get a team of graduate
students to research this dilemma and get some real data.
Do It Yourself