[pct-l] Hitching

one method that has never failed for me once in town is to go to a
convenience store (assuming one is nearby) and buy a marks-a-lot marker
and ask for a box.  Then tear off one side of the box and make a sign
that says where you are going.  Usually, if your sign says something
like "Onion Valley Trailhead", people will at least know you are a
hiker.