[pct-l] baden-powell

Just had a grand time X-country skiing below Baden Powell yesterday on Route 2.  There were two homongous avalanges -  the shoots were bare to the dirt but 15+ foot walls of ice on the edges.  It was an awesome sight - would not want to be underneath that 100 ft wall of motion.
For SCAL BP is notorious to be one of the most snowies sections and one of the areas that the snow sticks the longest.  When I hiked between BP and Islip Saddle on the PCT last month there was probably 6 feet of blown icey base and it has to have doubled by now.  It was VERY dangereous last month - going from ice to powder frequently and I was  alternating between crampons and snow shoes and did not alternate quite soon enough and took a 100 ft slide - luckily slipped right through a grove of trees and DID not become a statistic.
To answer your question, if it is snowless by the time the thruers come thru in mid MAY it will be an unusual year - there presently is three feet at the base -  and it only gets deeper as you get higher.  A trail "closed" because of snow - I think NOT!

Duane

vivek <viveka1111@yahoo.com> wrote:
Anyone know when the PCT along Baden-Powell opens up, ie free of snow?

thanks

Vivek