[pct-l] Fishing

Hi Eric,

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004, Eric Yakel wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong.  I have heard the Department of Fish and Game
> is no longer stocking any of the backcountry lakes in the Sierras (the
> one's away from the roadends and trailheads).

I hope they don't stock them. I like golden trout.

> I can vouch for the fact that some of the higher elevation lakes are
> sterile and a few like Moon Lake and Puppet Lake no longer have fish.

I saw trout, mostly golden trout, in every lake and stream from Evolution
Valley to Mt. Whitney. The only exception was Wanda Lake. This had no fish
as much as I starred into it. I saw only some frogs. (I've read the frogs
are usually decimated by trout. The trout are "invaders" to the lakes.
They where released a hundert years ago by shepards. Their origin is the
Kern river.) Seing Wanda lake empty was strange, because the little lake
above and the Sapphire lake downstream had plenty of trout.

All I know is that the trout in the Sierra, as natural as they appear,
have a very messy, human made history. No need to stock them in the
backcountry.

Ilja.