[pct-l] PCT Elevation Gain

In a message dated 2/23/2004 9:02:42 PM Pacific Standard Time,
atvet@sbcglobal.net writes:...............................................
> [...]
of elevation gain on the PCT.<<<<<<<

Absolutely true... for example, in Section E, from Tylerhorse Canyon (4840')
it is 3.2 miles to the saddle overlooking Gamble Spring Canyon (4960') but the
guidebook says "making a well graded ascent across three major ravines."  A
look at DeLorme Topo shows about 600 feet lost and gained across the ravines.
That being said, I think, when (and IF) I get done with my spreadsheet
guestimation, it will be a lot closer than my guess from walking it, which is three
billion feet.  <G>

"No Way"
Ray Echols