[pct-l] RE: Whippet Questions

John Coyle <jcoyle@sanjuan.edu> wrote:

Excuse me if this has been covered already, but I just got back from a
camping trip and haven't had a chance to go through all the old lists.

Is this the device made by Black Diamond that fits on top of a hiking pole and
functions like an ice axe?

Yes

I have heard about those things and have always wondered how it is attached to the hiking pole. I seem to remember that the entire top section of the pole is removed and replaced with the Whippet, in which case the Whippet must have its own grip and strap--

Yes

If the Whippet is made by Black Diamond, does it fit on
and function properly on other brands of hiking poles such as Komperdell or
Leki?

I don't know if the Whippet will fit on to other brands of poles. My Black Diamond pole model is an Access. It seems to be a larger diameter pole and appears to be heaver than other brands. There may also be more than one size of Whippet too. Black Diamond makes a lot of different size poles.

I used the Whippet on my 2003 PCT thru hike and will recommend it with one word of caution: You will need to practice self arresting with it. It performs very well but because it is also a trekking pole, the shaft length may get tangled up in your feet and holding a pole in the other hand restricts your ability to use that hand to grab the Whippet pole.

Chance