[pct-l] Sequioa Trees and Hiking

The High Sierra Trail from Giant Forest (Crescent Mdws) to Mt. Whitney is one of the great backpacking trails in the world.  You say, "Switchback, how can you say that when you have not been on all the other trails?"  I don't care.  The first time I was on it was 1970. It intercepts the JMT at Wallace Creek.  You have fantastic scenery and a hot springs bath mid way on trip at the Kern River.  You start out at Crescent Mdw and the giant Sequoia trees!!  You walk right past them out of the parking lot at Crescent Meadows.  John Muir said Crescent Mdws was the fairest in the Sierras.  It is holy ground all the way to Whitney as far as I am concern.  I can not imagine anyone backpacking trans-Sierra on this trail and not saying it was one of their backpacking highlights of all time.  You start by hiking 11 miles to Bearpaw Mdws tent camp.  Nice place.  Then up to Hamilton Lakes to camp.  This place will blow your mind.  Then up and over the Great Western Divide and down into the Big Arroyo. Mind boggling place. Up to Moraine Lake (technically off the trail a little).  This place is an outstanding mountain lake to camp at.  Then down into the Kern River trench and the hot springs.  Wow!!! Up to Wallace creek/JMT/PCT to camp.  Then to Crab Tree Mdws and the ranger station to camp.  Bug the rangers with questions - lots of fun.  Next up to the top of Mt. Whitney or stop and camp near Guitar Lake (no camping allowed at the lake, I think).  Have someone pick you up at Whitney Portal and then down the Dow Motel in Lone Pine for a well deserved rest/swim and dinner at the Merry-Go-Round.  A more perfect trip could not be wished for.  Take your time and just savor every minute.  Later, Switchback