From: "Donna Saufley" <dsaufley@sprynet.com>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Cc: <jimgorman101@earthlink.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 22, 2004 10:53 AM
Subject: [pct-l] Request for PCT factoids . . .

> The following message was forwarded to ALDHA-W members, but IMHO, I
believe the PCT-L community may be the best source of the information Mr.
Gorman is seeking.  -=Donna Saufley=-
> To all members (most of whom have a lot more experience than I do):
> Jim Gorman is looking for some answers about the Pacific Crest Trail. If
anyone can help him, please reply to him (jimgorman101@earthlink.net
<mailto:jimgorman101@earthlink.net>). Contacting the Pacific Crest Trail
Association, which I suggested, apparently isn't a viable option. His
original questions plus two followups are listed below.
> Thanks.
> Hey, I'm working on a story for National Geographic Adventure about the
three long trails. I'm looking for some basic facts that you might know, or
could steer me to the right person. Here goes:
> --How many people attempted PCT thru hikes in 2002, how many succeeded?
> -- what's the cumulative elevation gain/loss for the PCT? Believe it or
not, someone at the ATC came up with 470,000 vertical elevation gain for the
whole trail.