[pct-l] Request for PCT factoids . . .

The following message was forwarded to ALDHA-W members, but IMHO, I believe the PCT-L community may be the best source of the information Mr. Gorman is seeking.  -=Donna Saufley=-
To all members (most of whom have a lot more experience than I do):
Jim Gorman is looking for some answers about the Pacific Crest Trail. If anyone can help him, please reply to him (jimgorman101@earthlink.net <mailto:jimgorman101@earthlink.net>). Contacting the Pacific Crest Trail Association, which I suggested, apparently isn't a viable option. His original questions plus two followups are listed below.
Thanks.
Hey, I'm working on a story for National Geographic Adventure about the three long trails. I'm looking for some basic facts that you might know, or could steer me to the right person. Here goes:
--How many people attempted PCT thru hikes in 2002, how many succeeded?
-- what's the cumulative elevation gain/loss for the PCT? Believe it or not, someone at the ATC came up with 470,000 vertical elevation gain for the whole trail.
-- how many miles total does the PCT spend in designated federal and state wilderness?
-- What 50-mile section of the PCT is the highest on average? An educated guess would do just fine.
--How many days long is the average thru hike of the PCT? Approximation is good enough.
--Who hold the record for quickest unsupported thru hike on the PCT?
Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Jim Gorman
1117 Melrose Avenue
Melrose Park, PA 19027-3014
215-635-3612jimgorman101@earthlink.net <mailto:jimgorman101@earthlink.net>