[pct-l] Glacier Peak Area -- Section K in Washington State

Hi, everyone.  I am not sure how to clip individual messages out so I don't
send the whole list of messages, so I just cut and pasted this message from
John Randall.  After his message, I am posting a suggestion for an alternate
route.

"Hi, I'm a PCTA long-timer and contributor to the Communicator.   I'm
forwarding
you a discussion thread with another member of the pct-l group.  It's my
opinion
that the PCTA should advise 2004 thru-hikers of the potential dangers of
section
K in Washington State and not skirt the issue.  Further, I believe it's the
responsibility of the PCTA, as the sponsor of the annual thru-hike, to make
preparations for a re-route from Stevens Pass to Rainy Pass.  This is not
the
responsibility of the Forest Service.   You can argue that the PCTA isn't
the
sponsor of the hike, but you(we) are.  The thru-hike permits come from the
PCTA.

With 30 miles of the PCT in section K eliminated, including all the bridges
over
the large creeks and the Suiattle River, there is NO PCT in section K this
year,
nor perhaps for several years to come.   I will be very disappointed in my
organization if it doesn't step up to its responsibility to not just warn
the
2004 thru-hikers of the damage, but to also provide some kind of pro-active
solution.  We all have dealt with governments through the years.  For a
$100,000
bridge over the Suiattle River to be built this summer, it would literally
take
an act of Congress, or some very serious patronage on the side.   The Forest
Service is just now finishing up its budget for fiscal 2004-2005.  How much
money is targeted for repair of the 30 miles of trail and the bridges in
Section
K?

I bet none.  Zero.

As an organization, it is our responsibility to present the facts to our
membership, not to sugar-coat the problems.   As I said in a previous note,
if I
was the Forest Supervisor for the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, I'd
put
up a Trail Closed sign up on the north side of Stevens Pass.

John Randall
"marmot"

Well said, John.  Now, here is my suggested alternate route:  Go north from
Stevens Pass untill you get to the Indian Creek Trail, just before White
Pass.  I am not sure what damage might have happened to the White River
Trail, since I think the White River comes off of Glacier Peak.  But the
Indian Creek Trail may be in better shape than the White River Trail anyway.
  It was in better shape last year, before the big rainstorm.  And Indian
Creek is smaller than White River.

Okay, take the Indian Creek Trail down to the trailhead (which is shared
with the White River Trail).  Then, go up the White River Trail about 4
miles until you get to the trail to Boulder Pass on the flanks of Clark
Mountain.  Go up about 6 miles to Boulder Pass.  From Boulder Pass, drop
down into the Napeequa Valley, ford the river, and take the high route (no
real trail yet, but people do it anyway) to High Pass.  From High Pass,
continue along the ridge to Liberty Cap and hike down to Buck Creek Pass.
>From there, take the Buck Creek Trail north past Flowerdome, over Middle
Ridge, and on down to the junction with the PCT.  You will be near Miner's
Creek and back on track.

This would be my plan, if the trails are not too damaged on the east side.
Also, since I am stating this plan from memories of hikes I have done in the
past, there may be mistakes.  Check the maps, and call the Forest Service to
see if any of these trails are closed.  My hope is that they will be open.
If so, thru-hikers should be able to hike without a shuttle.

Lindy