[pct-l] Washington section

Hi, I'm a PCTA long-timer and contributor to the Communicator.   I'm forwarding you a discussion thread with another member of the pct-l group.  It's my opinion that the PCTA should advise 2004 thru-hikers of the potential dangers of section K in Washington State and not skirt the issue.  Further, I believe it's the responsibility of the PCTA, as the sponsor of the annual thru-hike, to make preparations for a re-route from Stevens Pass to Rainy Pass.  This is not the responsibility of the Forest Service.   You can argue that the PCTA isn't the sponsor of the hike, but you(we) are.  The thru-hike permits come from the PCTA.

With 30 miles of the PCT in section K eliminated, including all the bridges over the large creeks and the Suiattle River, there is NO PCT in section K this year, nor perhaps for several years to come.   I will be very disappointed in my organization if it doesn't step up to its responsibility to not just warn the 2004 thru-hikers of the damage, but to also provide some kind of pro-active solution.  We all have dealt with governments through the years.  For a $100,000 bridge over the Suiattle River to be built this summer, it would literally take an act of Congress, or some very serious patronage on the side.   The Forest Service is just now finishing up its budget for fiscal 2004-2005.  How much money is targeted for repair of the 30 miles of trail and the bridges in Section K?

I bet none.  Zero.

As an organization, it is our responsibility to present the facts to our membership, not to sugar-coat the problems.   As I said in a previous note, if I was the Forest Supervisor for the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest, I'd put up a Trail Closed sign up on the north side of Stevens Pass.

John Randall
"marmot"