Nomad Lite (was: [pct-l] Black Diamond Shelter)

My hiking partner on the JMT last year used a Nomad Lite, and I was very
impressed with it.  It held up well in some rough weather, rain and wind.  It is
really lightweight, and bugproof.

The overhangs are minimal, so a combination of heavy rain and wind can result
in some moisture getting inside.  This problem can be pretty nearly
eliminated by setting up where there is some protection from the wind, much as you
would do with a tarp.  It is a VERY small one-person tent.  OTOH, on a clear
night, you can roll the sides up and tie them at the centerline, making a net roof
with a view full of stars.

This particular tent was poorly made; panels were not properly fitted
together, though the stitching was good.  As a result, or maybe just because of the
design, the Nomad Lite is noisy in a wind.  There was also a long delivery time
for the tent, as least last year, so order early if you want one.

After seriously considering this tent for myself, I just bought one of Henry
Shires' Squall tarptents instead.  Same weight, sleeps two.  I got the
extended beak, and no floor.  (www.tarptent.com)  These shelters are both excellent
solutions for thruhikers.
_____