[pct-l] MT Whitney PCT

Not sure what all the hurry is about.  One day off the trail to do a side hike won't really slow you down.  Think off it as an alternate route.

I didn't do a lot of side trips nor peak bagging, but Whitney is worthwhile.

If you have ever though of climbing the highest peak in the Continental USA, you have to do it while on your thru hike.  A few reasons I'd give:
1. by the time you get to crabtree meadows, you'll be used to the altitude.  (few thru hikers have troubles with 14,000 but hikers justing doing Whitney have to acclimate)
2. also you should be in pretty good shape so the side trip won't seem to strenuous.
3. getting a permit is easier and dates are more flexible for thru hikers. (others have to enter a lottery to get a permit and are limited to specific dates, so I heard)
4. It is an awesome view.

Just watch for the afternoon lighting and rain.

Vivek

Christopher Willett <chwillet@indiana.edu> wrote:
"you're not suggesting that hikers skip Whitney, are
you?"

This is exactly what I am suggesting. Then again, I grew up in Chicago
and never went to the Sears tower. I went to Japan and didn't
climb Fujisan. But, I do know my way around Devon Ave. and Hammamatsu
is a sweet town. Whitney seems like a nice idea
at the time, but if I had a choice now between a day spent on Whitney and
another day on the PCT, I'd take the trail day without hesitation.
JMT hikers might feel differently about this, since Whitney is the
terminus.