[pct-l] Why do you hike solo?

I have been hiking and climbing alone for 40 years.  I started because I
could not find people to go on longer trips and into remote areas,
especially California, early season.

I have now done 3 Mexico to Canada trips alone.  I would generally rather
be with somebody else.  I am slow, but very persistent.  NObody wants to do
what I want to do or at the same time.  I don't have much choice. It is
either go alone or not at all.

I have always found that I learn much more about myself when I am alone;
but I seem to enjoy and absorb the scenery more when I am with another
person.  thruhiking can be a difficult experience alone; daunting in poor
weather and when plagued with pain or injuries.  Company is real solice and
somebody with humor so warms the experience, that it may be for some the
difference between continuing or stopping.  Thruhikers with warmth and
humor are in high demand on the trail.  I think a different perspective
allows one to absorb different things from a hike and to create memories
that bring real and lasting value to the hike.

I have never regretted a single hike that I have done alone, even when I
was injured.

My very first overnight was a solo.

I am like Gray now in that if I went with anybody , they would have to be
able to go alone because I value both company and solitude.

Goforth