[pct-l] Why do you hike solo?

I think Colin Fletcher said it very well in his book "The Man Who Walked
Through Time"
  He was on a solo hike of several weeks in the Grand Canyon and had gotten
quite used to his own rhythms and schedule. Then a very good friend joined him
for a few days of hiking. Colin stated that although the guy was a good
friend, he couldn't wait for him to leave. The imposition of having to suddenly
consider the whims and follies of another person was just too much: when to get
up, when to take a break, pace, consideration, etc. He could no longer just do
it his way, and he had come to enjoy just doing it his way, something quite
rare in today's world. Frank Sinatra's tune "I did it my way" is another good
explanation of why I enjoyed solo thru hiking
 The weak and the bold make good partners. The bold look for an audience and
the weak look for direction. If you are neither, solo is such a relief. A team
just doesn't get independence. It's an either/or situation. A pecking order
must be established in a group. A leader must emerge. If you don't like the
leadership that emerges, great friction can occur if you rebel.
 I am not a loner. I belong to two outdoor clubs. I am going to be at a ski
lodge with 54 other people this weekend. I can go with a group or by myself,
and I am quite aware of the differences between the two types of trips. I know
what to expect from them both and adjust accordingly. I know I must compromise
my expectations when with a group, and do so willingly in order to enjoy it.
When solo, I can do as I please. One good, one bad? Beauty is in the eye of the
beholder, and let's not compare apples with oranges