[pct-l] All about food

----- Original Message -----
From: "Linda Cooper" <LCooper@WHF-Law.com>

He has another question regarding food.  He is currently of the mindset
to hike the trail without sending himself food packages.  Also
considering leaving the stove behind.  Have any of you done this, and
can you discuss pros and cons?
______________________________________

I've hiked for a week to ten days a number of times without a stove.  It's a
very different experience.  Rather than stopping and going through the
ritual of food preparation, I ate every hour or so.  I had the normal pilot
crackers and peanut/butter and jelly for lunch, and granola for breakfast,
but no real dinner.  I ended up eating all that was left of the day's food
before going to sleep.  I brought lots of different finger foods and the
meal packets http://store.yahoo.com/bearvalleybars/varietypacks.html from
Bear Valley.  I made sure the protein/carb/fat balance was right.

I didn't miss warm food or the comfort the ritual gives.

Jeff Olson
Laramie WY