[pct-l] Snow on Fuller Ridge

At 06:54 AM 2/9/04, Eric Yakel wrote:
>Very true about Fuller ridge being nasty.  Depending on late snow, Mt.
>Laguna might be also.  I post a trail report about April 15th of every
>year with the trail conditions site on the PCTA website.  I will put
>information in for section B including Fuller ridge.

Being a San Diego native, and having been on the PCT in Mt Laguna in snow
many times, I can say with certainly, you will NOT need an ice axe in the
Laguna's or anywhere else south of Mt San Jacinto. You may also need an axe
on Mt Baden-Powel (map D5).

Here is a picture of Joe Sobinovsky on Fuller Ridge (guidebook map B10) in
June one year that Joe and I did a Hwy 74 to Big Bear section hike. We were
through there over a month AFTER the thru hikers. Doing this section
without an Ice Axe would have been VERY foolish:
http://www.fastpack.com/brick/joe_fuller_ridge.jpg

Here is a picture taken a few miles earlier, in the Taquitz Valley, map B9,
a few miles south of the Devil's Slide trail junction
http://www.fastpack.com/brick/joe_taquitze_valley.jpg

Be careful out there.
The PCT isn't Disneyland