[pct-l] sandels,,,,OH NO,,,,!

That's what we call "projecting" on BGT.... ;o) Actually, I've hiked
hundreds of miles wearing sandals (I've got one pair with over 1500
miles on them) and, once I learned a few things, the problems you
mentioned just went away. I've also found that sandals seem to out wear
shoes or boots..... for me, anyway. Fortunately neither the Roman
Legions or the Vietnamese heard that they couldn't hike in
sandals....lol.
I grew to love sandals so much I started wearing them every day. I even
wore them with socks in the winter. They work great with SealSkinz or
Rocky Gore-Tex socks, too.
I do have to use a pumice stone on my calluses to keep them down or they
will crack. As far as my feet drying out, if that happens, I use Bag
Balm or A+D ointment.
I've also found that gluing something like the Spenco Hiker inserts onto
the sandal foot bed made them even more comfortable. I just used contact
cement and it seems to last for as long as I'll be wearing that pair of
sandals. My oldest, since retired, were glued in 1999.

Jerry

http://www.BackpackGearTest.org : the most comprehensive interactive
gear reviews and tests on the planet.