[pct-l] ice axe, and shoes...

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 CMountainDave@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 1/31/04 1:09:01 AM, bdwhitsell@comcast.net writes:
>
> << I disagree about the "guaranteed... wet, cold feet".  I have hiked in wet
> slush in Teva sandals, regular hiking socks, and seal skin (brand)outer socks.
>  The seal skin socks kept my feet dry and the hiking sock kept my feet warm.
> >>

> Hmm. I wonder why I've never seen this set up on people climbing any of the
> numerous eternally snow covered volcanoes of the Pacific Northwest?
>
>  The Mountaineers of Seattle (wrote the book Freedom of the Hills) will frown
> mightily if you show up for a snow hike with your footwear set up and most
> likely would not let you go. (Make that a certainty. They are way too litigation
> worried.) Wonder why that is? Just a bunch of meanies, I guess.
>
>   Like I said, it's no big deal if you are going to be on snow for just a few
> hours. But if you are going to be on snow for several days, you are going to
> be miserable in running shoes. Don't believe me? I'll take you up a 3 day
> climb of Rainier and we'll see what's what. You get to kick half the steps and
> find out just how well seal skin socks over regular socks and running shoes
> insulate you from the cold, especially in crampons. Oh I forgot. You'll be using
> Yak Traks or screws
>
>    A couple of coats of waterproofing grease on leather will keep them dry
> for 3 days. Done it many dozens of times
>
>    And as a pre -emptive move, all this applies to the PCT only if you enter
> the Sierra early and will be post holing your way across the major passes.
> Want to tough it out in Tevas? Be my guest.
>
> <<  If stiffness is a concern for kicking steps in snow,  many low cut hiking
> shoes are fine  >
>
>  So are you going to carry them along with your running shoes just in case?
> Not that it's likely, but wouldn't you fell a bit sheepish if upon arriving at
> Forester Pass you had to ask some guy in boots to kick steps in hard snow for
> you or would you figure it's his trail angel duty?

I'm afraid this is an apples and oranges comparison. I can say from
experience with both, that the Sierras in early season is not the same
as climbing as Pacific northwest volcanos. Northbound thru-hikers, who
typically hit the Sierras early, should be seeing congealed snow and
mostly around the high passes. This isn't days on end of snow; it's days
of alternating snow and clear trails.

For several years now, people have successfully negotiated the Sierras
Tevas, and sneakers. They've got their limitations. The fact is every
choice of footwear is going to have both drawbacks and advantages. What's
right for one person might be very different for another.

-Karl

Karl "Birdman" Brandt PCT97 LT98
http://people.ucsc.edu/~kbrandt/