[pct-l] Sun Protection

In a message dated 1/28/04 9:20:22 PM, pmags@yahoo.com writes:

<< I do not use any sun protection on my legs, I can't
even remember the last time my legs burned. But, I do
have a somewhat dark complexion -esp. after being in
the sun for an extented period of time.

I used the natural tan strategy for my face and hands, the only exposed parts
of my body. I wore sun creme on them the first few days, exposing myself to
more and more sun without the creme each day. After that I didn't use any sun
protection for the rest of the thru hike with no sunburn whatsoever. I would
have if I had had to travel on snow for long periods, but that did not happen. I
don't like sunglasses because I don't normally wear glasses and wearing them
all day gives me a headache after a while. Plus I like looking at the world in
natural colors.
  I didn't use a sun hat either. I tried one at first, but found that I
overheated with a covered head that couldn't vent. I just got used to walking in
the sun without one.
   The worst sunburn I ever got was while climbing Mt Shasta on snow and in
the fog. I dumbly thought the fog was blocking the sun when in fact it was
magnifying it. My entire face turned black, and I even got blisters with pus
coming out of them. Then the skin cracked and I had red streaks criss crossing my
face. For about a week, I learned how horribly disfigured feel when going out
in public. People would glance at me in horror and quickly glance away. After
peeling, my face was as good as new, kind of like a chemical peel that some
women get, I would imagine. No evidence of skin cancer some 30 years later
 David C