[pct-l] RE: Water at Walker Pass

We learned a valuable lesson at Walker Pass in 2000. We arrived at the
campground at about noon and decided to hitch to Onyx to eat. We had some
trouble getting a ride (lots of tourists in mobil homes). Finally got our
ride to Onyx and ate food from the small grocery. Then got a ride back with
Bush Pilot, who was getting off the trail.

When we arrived back at the campground we went straight to the water faucet.
It was dry! Now what? We decided to think about our next step as we walked
up to the pass. When we arrived at the pass there was one car there with a
man sleeping in the car. We crossed the road and started holding out our
empty bottles toward passing motorists to show our problem. We looked back
down past the pass and saw the sleeping motorist was now standing outside
his car draining a bottle of water into his mouth!

We ran down toward him and explained that we were hikers and needed water.
Did he have any to spare? This trail angel gave us his remaining five
3/4-liter bottles and would not let us pay for them. He told us he would
just stop at the next WalMart and buy more.

Our lesson was to check for available water before going into town. Our
Walker Pass experience worked out well, but it could easily have turned into
another difficult hitch into Onyx.

Ken
http://home.pacbell.net/kdpo