[pct-l] PCT Map Programs Redux

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004, Ilja Friedel wrote:

> I've noticed that the maps I've printed with TOPO! last summer had a
> weired flaw west of Mt. Whitney. Data from one region appeared in a
> rectangle in a different region again. For this reason I couldn't see the
> trail on the map for 3 miles or so. I only noticed the day before I needed
> the map and obviously there was no replacement. Hence it is well worth to
> do reality checks, as with any map, I guess.

One of the advantages of the guide book maps is that they've been around
for years and had many revisions. The authors have gotten years worth of
feedback to correct many of their mistakes. My experience was that they
were rarely wrong. Since then, folks with GPS devices have found mistakes
but I suspect that's more due to inaccuracies in the underlying USGS maps.

-Karl

Karl "Birdman" Brandt PCT97 LT98
http://people.ucsc.edu/~kbrandt/