Dry Sections (Was Re: [pct-l] Class of 2004 Gear)

According to my PCT Trail Guide (1997 edition), milepost 639.9 would put you
at the road to McIvers Spring, on Map F12.  McIvers Spring is 0.3 miles off
the trail.  The next water is 7.4 miles ahead, at Walker Pass Campground.

I don't have a current Data Book (which, incidently, can be a better source
of water info than the Trail Guides, and well worth carrying) but I recall it
listing only water sources that are right on the trail.  There are many springs
and tanks along the southern PCT that are not listed in the Data Book because
they are off the trail, sometimes only a few feet off.  The Trail Guide lists
these.

Carry the Data Book with you, and also buy the Trail Guides.  The guides are
too heavy to pack along, so tear them up into sections and put them into your
care packages to use as you need them.

If I'm not correct about the Hat Creek section, someone on the list will set
us straight.  It is certainly one of the longest stretches on the trail where
you will find no drinkable water.  You expect to deal with that in the S. Cal.
deserts, but not when you get north of Lassen.  Another surprisingly arid
section is in Oregon, north of Crater Lake NP.  It's all volcanic pumice, and
very little water stays on the surface.

Anyway, best of luck to the Class of '04!  I hope to see you at the
ADZPCTKOP!
_____