[pct-l] Gas stove Question

In a message dated 1/13/04 11:09:59 PM Pacific Standard Time,
themtgoat@yahoo.com writes:

> Questions:
> 1. Do most of the Resupply points have Gas at the Towns, resorts, etc?
> ( I am almost sure that they don't but thought I would pop the question).
>
> 2. If people use those Alcohol stoves, how do they resupply, can they mail
> the Fuel?

Both gas and alcohol fuel are available by the ounce at most resupply points
on the trail.  Alcohol, but not gas, can also be shipped in your resupply box
as long as it is properly marked and shipped ground.

> 3. Or should I just use solid fuel and be done with it....

Long-distance hikers usually resupply every 5-7 days, keep their pack weight
to a minimum, and keep their cooking simple.  A CatStove or other alcostove
satisfies all these requirements.  There's no harm in carrying a few Esbit
tablets for emergencies if it increases your comfort level.

My unscientific guestimate:  When I hiked the AT in '02, over 50 percent of
hikers used some variety of alcohol stove.  On the PCT I hear it was more like
70 percent.