[pct-l] Dog hiking

I have studied quite a bit about Nomadic lifestyles and dogs were the first
domesticated animals used to carry loads by ancient people. Dogs were used
by the Indians all over North America to haul travois and by the prospectors
in Alaska to haul packs.
The average house dog, of course, is not capable of such a feat, but that
doesn't mean it's not doable. Booting up to avoid rock/foot interaction,
keeping the dog on a flexi-lead to prevent him from  chasing wildlife and
general commands including a "no bark" command are propery training for a
traildog.
BTW, I have been backpacking a couple of times with people from the BPL list
with both my dog and goats, and they were pleasantly surprised at the
behavior and abilities of my animals. Even the ones who thought it was a bad
idea until they saw it in action.
 In this day and age, so many people are cut off from what animals are
capable of doing that they tend to judge all animals by the actions of a
few.
Carolyn Eddy
Goattracks Magazine
www.goattracksmagazine.com