[pct-l] socks

Steve wrote " I love smartwool socks but I don't want to buy enough pairs to
make it through a thru-hike."

Steve, whatever socks you decide on (imho, both smartwools & Wrightsocks are
great) you might have a "sock party" before you leave for Campo.  Typically
hikers have a number of hiking and/or non-hiking friends who want to (ahem)
help out or give gifts - and a sock party's an ideal way to do it.  My
husband & I invited a bunch of friends and relations over for a barbeque as
a "send-off" party, and invited them if they wished to bring socks, type,
size, and source specified.  We had both a great party (had fun showing off
our planned gear, food, etc) and received lots of perfect Thorlo socks
(pre-Smartwool, 1994 editions).

Good luck on your hike -

Christine "Ceanothus" Kudija
Partial PCT '94