[pct-l] Snow Camping in Washington

In a message dated 1/11/04 5:37:35 PM, gray_hiker@mindpoison.org writes:

<< A group of friends and I want to try out some snow camping the weekend
of Jan 31st. Any suggestions on somewhere that we could go to camp, that
we wouldn't have to walk terribly far to get to, yet still be surrounded
by snowy nature goodness? >>

Paradise on Mt. Rainier is always good. The mountaineering class I helped
teach used to go there and dig snow caves very close to the parking lot (100
yards). You need about 10 feet of snow. You can also hike very safely about a mile
and a half to a place called Mazama Ridge using snowshoes or skis and just
camp. There is a very large flat area about 2 square miles in size beyond the
ridge. You gain about 500 - 750' in elevation. The ranger station is sure to
have a trail map. It is popular for snow camping but by no means crowded   David C