[pct-l] Ice ax size

It is my understanding that when you hold the head of the ax in your hand the tip should be about at your ankle. This is what I have heard from a few climbers and on a couple of forums. I think it is in Mountaineering, Freedom Of the Hills. I am glad to hear that I am not the only stir crazy maniac using his ax to chip ice off the steps and sidewalk. I recently bought the Cassin Ghost, 70 cm , and it surprised me with how well it broke the ice considering that it is 10 ozs. and all aluminum. I haven't used it in the real snow yet. Hope this helps. Gene