[pct-l] Ice axe size

In a message dated 1/9/04 2:11:34 PM, dorothea@onemain.com writes:

<< According to the instructions I?ve seen,

I should get a 70 inch,  >>

Sounds good to me if you are between 5' to 5' 4'' tall. If you want light
weight, get a titanium one. This subject has been discussed at length (no pun
intended) so you might want to try the archives. To put it succinctly, the main
function of an ice ax is as a balance tool since it is rarely used for self
arrest (which is only ONE of its functions). A short ice ax is pretty useless as
a balance tool
   I went to a Mountaineers meeting last night and someone had an ice ax that
once belonged to Jim Whittaker. It was about 3 feet long. And consider the
pre ice ax snow tool, the alpenstock. It wasn't exactly short --- more like 6
feet long. Hmm, I wonder why? Could it be it was used for balance too by any
chance? The ice ax replaced it because it was more functional, not because
alpenstocks were too long