[pct-l] bears & food - statistics ?

> I think the bear problems are greatly overrated for PCT through
> hikers practicing stealth camping and going through at normal
> times.

I agree whole-heartedly.  I heard from a passing hiker that noone has
ever been killed by a bear in Yosemite, but 14 people had been killed
by deer.  I have no idea if its true, but an interesting statement
nonetheless.

...of course there are things worse than dying, like getting your
guts ripped open and your legs and arms mauled then sitting in a
wheelchair for the rest of your life and having to ask friends and
family to empty your colostomy (sp?) bag for you while you ponder how
stupid you were for trying to fight with a bear.

peace,
dude