[pct-l] gps / gis for pct path?

At 01:05 AM 12/30/03, AsABat wrote:
>However, GPS and GIS are two entirely different animals. I think most of us
>understand GPS (Global Positioning System).
>
>GIS is Geographical Information System. It takes data about an area and
>relates it to a map. In many cases, the accuracy of a property line, for
>example, is not nearly as important as who owns the property, who owns the
>properties are adjacent to it, assessed value, population, water lines, etc.

good explanation. I am sort of familiar with GIS, having worked with
several of ESRI's products.

I can understand how the USFS might be interested in a GIS map of their
"assets" (such as trails and roads,) as that was the purpose of the Lassen
NF project.

I fail to see how a GIS database would help a PCT hiker. About the only
location references that a hiker has available are GPS data, and his map
and compass. Since the GPS data won't match the map, it seems to me that
the only meaningful data would be the line on the map, and possibly road
crossings.

Am I missing something here?