[pct-l] Umbrella Holders

IMHO, Velcro works much better than mini bungee cords and is readily
adjustable. You can also stitch the stuff exactly where you want it so you
don't lose it..

I have used an umbrella extensively on the PCT over the past five years.
Like Ray Jardine, I make my own from a commercially available model, but
lacking his skill and patience, I do not modify it to the extent that he
does. The model I use costs $16 and weights 13 ounces when modified. I have
used other manufacturers with bad results. The high wind gusts in the desert
and Sierra portions of the trail will quickly break the nylon ribs and
joints of one prominent light-weight manufacturer's umbrella when they peel
back the canopy unexpectedly.. The only saving grace is the canopy that is
designed to be removed and replaced, but that's small comfort once the
framing system is destroyed. If it weren't for the large size (54 inch
diameter) of the commercial model that allows wind gusts to escape from the
top of the canopy, I would use it instead of the model I currently use. I
may try modifying my model next year, but that's a lot of cutting and sewing
on the canopy, which I don't do well.

Basically, I saw off the J-handle just above the curve so I have a straight
wooden grip as long as possible. I drill a hole in the end and tie a small
nylon cord loop there. WHY? - ever see what happens to an open umbrella on
the ground? It rolls over on its top in the slightest breeze and blows away
in anything stronger. This can be a pain when you're lying on your pad with
boots and socks off in the desert heat. Chasing an umbrella barefooted over
hot sun brings new meaning to the term "pain". To hold the umbrella in
place, I use a tent stake.  I also cut off most of the pointed top above the
canopy, leaving just enough through which to drill a second hole for a metal
key ring to pass through. Now wire will do just as  well and can fit a
smaller diameter hole, but then what to do with those sharp wire ends that
cut packs and gear so easily. the key ring has no such problem. Using this
loop, I can suspend the umbrella overhead as a sun shield while I lie under
a tree. A light line from the handle loop to the ground allows me to angle
the canopy as required.  I do not bother with the Mylar cover; I use a tan
colored canopy. Doesn't reflect as well but it's a lot better than a dark
color. I double tape the fabric attachment points at the tips of each canopy
spine using the heaviest duct tape I can find; one layer over the top of the
fabric; a second under the fabric.

Over the years, my wife has designed and built several rigs the attach the
umbrella to my pack for hands-free operation. I too use a pair of hiking
poles so this is a necessity. These rigs hold the umbrella very securely to
the body of the pack directly behind my spine (preferably) although one pack
design mandated that it be off-center. The rigs are also adjustable to
accommodate almost any umbrella shaft length imaginable. Several Velcro
loops hold the shaft but still allow me to cant in to one side or the other
as needed. Front to back adjustments can also be made by using or not using
the highest loop on the pack, or by loosening/tightening the shoulder
straps. For this reason, the handle of my umbrella can be as long as I want
but the diameter becomes critical. Many of the small, collapsible umbrellas
have a fat wooded or plastic knob for a handle. That gets real uncomfortable
real fast against my spine. I have used a Mountainsmith Auspex for the past
two years and the packstrap design - with the open channel down my spine -
makes for a near-perfect attachment point. I can't post the diagrams on the
list, but if someone wants them, just email me off-list (use "Reply" instead
of "Reply All") and I'll send you the .jpg files showing the design and mode
of attachment for the Auspex rig.

I've found the umbrella to be worth its weight and it's part of my base gear
weight now. Experience in section F suggests that I should leave it at home
for the desert sections, that I'll have less trouble with  a wide-brimmed
hat and a neck cape. I've seen others recommend umbrellas also be omitted
from the Sierras - again due to the high wind gusts. I carried mine on a
through-hike of the Tahoe Rim Trail three years ago and found it magnificent
for long ascents and light rains. Those who scoffed at my rig on the valley
floor became true believers by the time we reached the top of Dicks' Pass.
It serves me as sun shield, wind blocker, and rain cover. It has shielded my
stove from rain and wind. It makes a reasonable tent pole for my tarp,
albeit at the foot end, or for a side tie-out pole.

The only draw-back I've encountered with my umbrella is that it must be
rigged out with the pack off so care must be taken putting the pack on . The
real problem is that once rigged out, the pack has to be removed and set
down to close or remove the umbrella. This requires extra care because if
the pack tips over, it can bend or break even the metal frames of the
canopy. I learned this the hard way when I set my fully-rigged pack down and
walked way to answer nature's call without closing the umbrella. If I'm
walking through brush, the umbrella stays stowed no matter the weather,
wind, or sun.

Wandering Bob