[pct-l] hiking boots

In a message dated 12/1/2003 10:47:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
kborski@yahoo.com writes:
>>>Truly - shoes are very personal.>>>

Hear Hear!!!  ...and yet.  I  cannot recommend strongly enough that potential
thruhikers try tennis shoes.  After 40 years of heavy-booted, heavy backpack
hiking in the Sierra, tennis shoes and a 20# pack on my PCT hike in 2001 could
have not been more of a revelation if the sky had split open and a booming
voice chided me for being such a slow learner.  Being old (60) and a tad
overweight, I routinely managed 20+ miles a day and went from Idyllwild to Snow Creek
(38 miles) in one long ( ok, I admit it, not terribly pleasant) day.  I
thought blisters were just part of the baggage of backpaking. I got one small
blister on the San Felipe traverse....  I attribute  all this to shoes and pack and
nothing else.

No Way
Ray E