[pct-l] A cow story (Was: gates in the Sierra)

We stopped at Kennedy Meadows (south) one fall day to picnic. My son and I
were fishing down at the river when we heard a loud roar like thunder, but
louder and constant, and then saw a large cloud of dust up in the
campground. I couldn't imagine what it was, but was concerned for my wife
and daughter who were up in the campground. We ran up the bank, expecting to
see a rock slide or something. My wife said that a large herd of cattle came
stampeding down the canyon, along with about three people on horseback. I
was a bit unbelieving until, just as we got in the car, another rumble was
heard, and more cows came running straight through the campground. We drove
slowly down the road, completely surrounded by cattle, until we came to the
cattle guard, where the cows were waiting. It was quite an experience.

Some of the pack stations take guests on their spring and fall cattle
drives. However, I cannot imagine cows going up Taboose Pass. There's
nothing for them to eat up there, and once over the top it's Kings Canyon
National Park with no cattle leases.

AsABat