[pct-l] pct'04 planning

When I flew from Vancouver BC airport (due to a family
medical emergency), I was asked how and when I had
entered Canada.  My appearance (unshaven hiker with a
backpack) probably had much to do with it.  The entry
permit helped me make that explanation, was carefully
examined, and allowed me to catch a flight I otherwise
would have missed.  The guard noted, without humor, a
line on their form that specified APPEARANCE.  Not
knowing their intent, I had entered "scruffy hiker."

He did allow me on the plane, but not until after the
scariest moment of my thru hike.  As I stood in socks,
arms upraised, and just as his metal detector passed
my butt, I saw the rubber glove hanging on his belt.
I laughed aloud.  The security guy did not see the
humor in it for some seconds, but did join in the
laughter when I asked if he had a proctologist model.

Larry H