[pct-l] Big Agnes sleeping bag

Hey Strider!

I've been using the Zirkel/REM Air Core combo for a while now.  I had it
with me all year for OZ/NZ, then the PCT, and finally my road trip.  You can
read my reviews at backpackgeartest.org.  More specifically:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%20Bags/Big%20Agnes%20Zirkel%2020%20degree%20bag/

Now that I've used it even longer, I should add an addendum to the report...
  I did have a tiny leak in my pad that was probably a manufacturer's
defect.  I tried patching it but the patch didn't hold because the leak was
near the valve.  BA replaced the pad.  I now have two down leaks in the bag
at the stress points where the pad gets inserted into the sleeve.  I just
need to sew about 3/4 inch of a split seam on either side to fix the
problem.

Even though the REM Air Core pads are only designed for 32+ degrees and
arent' recommended in partnership with the Zirkel, I need the padding of the
REM Air Core.  For those times when it's likely the ground and/or air temp
will be below freezing, I also carry an Evazote pad, cut to shape.  Works
for me and it still weighs less than my Thermarest LE.

At 73", I use the long bag and have a bit of extra room.  In theory, the
bags are 78" long but designed to only fit up to 74".  While you might be
able to fit a couple of extra inches in there, I figure if I'm not able to
be at all comfortable in bags designed for 72", I would seriously doubt your
ability to use the long.  With the integrated bag and pad system, the bag
feels even more "rigid" than a separate sleeping bag and pad combo.

FWIW, I was surprised at the number of people I saw with BA bags and pads on
the PCT this past year.  At one point, camping with about 6 or 7 others, 4
of us had BA products.

Mara

http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor