[pct-l] Resupply in Etna

>From my article for the ALDHA-West Gazette (2003 winter) re: Etna

Best Kept Secrets of the PCT
By "Wandering Bob" Bankhead

Hopefully, this is the first in a short series of articles publicizing
little-known commercial establishments along the PCT that shine as jewels
among the myriad of possible locations for those beloved, desperately
needed, zero days. You'll have to pay for what you get here. The better
known free spots hosted by such trail angels as the Sauffley's and Pearsons
are not included.  I have personally stayed at least one night, and usually
more, in each of these places. My first candidate is:

Bradley's Alderbrook Manor Bed & Breakfast
836 Main Street
Etna, CA 96027-0489
530-467-3917
530-467-3936 Fax
Daniel Webster - Resident Manager
http://www.sisqtel.net/~joybrad

I just returned from section hiking  sections P, Q, and R (Castle Crags
State Park to Ashland, OR). During this trip, I had the opportunity to visit
Alderbrook Manor three times and stay there twice. For thru-hikers, it is a
long 150 mile carry over rough, rocky terrain  from Castella (Castle Crags
State Park) to Siead Valley. It is possible to exit after 100 miles at Etna
Summit, but the town of Etna is 10
miles below the trail and traffic is light on the road, so most people just
keep going. BIG MISTAKE !

Etna is a small town with everything a hiker could ask for except an
outfitter. Everything can be reached within a ten minute walk from
Alderbrook Manor. There is an excellent grocery store (open 7 days a week
7am to 10 pm) for re-supplying; a hardware store, pharmacy (with an old-time
ice cream soda fountain), barber, laundramat, post office, a library with
internet access, a microbrewery that also makes a killer root beer, and some
great places to eat non-trail-type meals. An excellent county bus system
(STAGE) makes regularly scheduled runs from Yreka to Etna, Dunsmuir, Mount
Shasta City, and Seiad
Valley. Greyhound service is available daily at the Yreka Texaco station.

Fact: The traffic going over Etna Summit may be light, but most of the
vehicles will stop for hikers. The locals are used to us. A quick ten miles
east (right) down the road lies the town of Etna and it's jewel, Bradley's
Alderbrook Manor Bed &Breakfast.

Alderbrook Manor is exactly 10 miles from Etna Summit on the right just
before the city limits sign. The old Victorian home has been extensively
decorated and the grounds are marvelous. You gotta see the huge covered
porch to believe it. Hikers gather there when not in the Hikers' Hut. The
dogs are very friendly. Your dog is welcome too. Daniel and his staff will
do everything possible to make your stay enjoyable. Yes, a separate co-ed
hiker's hut, built just for us beside the main house. It contains 6 bunk
beds and a double bed, all with linens, a bath with shower, toilet, and
towels,  a large utility sink, table, chairs, carpeting, and an overhead
ceiling fan. The urge to take two zero days here is hard to resist.

Here's the sales pitch:  for a grand total of $13.50 you get all of the
following:  a clean comfortable bed, a shower, laundry service at the B&B, a
huge breakfast the next morning, and  - at the convenience of the staff
after breakfast - a ride back up to the PCT at Etna Summit. Sorry, you don't
get to pick your roommates at this price. First come, first served. They
will also hold your re-supply packages for no cost. Shipment via UPS is
preferred.

If your wallet is more flush than mine, or if you just want the privacy, the
B&B has beautiful private rooms in the main house for $55 with shared bath
or $70 with a private bath. Personally, I favor the Honeymoon Suite. There
is a corral available if you have stock, but no feed, hay, or trailers. If
you  are traveling with stock, contact Daniel in advance to make customized
arrangements. Naturally, this
is an extra cost service.

My personal experience suggests that between Tuolomne Meadows and Manning
Park, you can not beat this deal at any commercial establishment. IMHO, it's
closer competitor is Wardholm West B&B at Snoqualmie Pass, WA, 700 miles
north. Watch for an up-coming review of Wardholm West, my 2nd Best Kept
Secret.