[pct-l] Sleeping Bag Liner

When I got in a very bad snow storm on my thruhike, I used the Stevenson
method of a vapor barrier by stripping down to  thin underwear, putting on
my rain chaps and parka (which I had made of silnylon), putting my fleece
on over the raingear and crawling into my sleeping bag.  It worked, I was
warm although the two raw eggs that I had froze solid that night( I had
made a thinsulite bag/ comforter and it had one and a half inches of loft
over the body and only an inch else where -so we are talking mimimal ).   I
never used the system again, because it never got that cold, and I hate the
slimmy feeling of silnylon that close to my skin.  I should have put the
raingear on next to my skin, but I am not there yet.  If I thought that i
was going to freeze to death, I might do it.

I have always considered that I have two sleeping bags along:  The clothes
that I wear walking around, and the bag that I crawl in at night. Now if I
can just keep from spilling coffee on my bag.  Say, maybe that is why I
never have any bear problems!!!

I since have made a 20 ounce comforter with a large foot box, and strings
that tie across the bottom of my air mattress.  It was supposed to be a 1
pound bag, but I got a little enthusiastic about stuffing the down and the
shell material turned out to be slightly heavier than they said.  I love
it, and I have brushed the ice off it in the morning.

My reflector tape I got from the snow poles on Hiway2 when I bailed  from
the San Gabriels down to Wrightwood.  Not only was Baden Powell deep in the
slumber of the snow but the highway was as well.  Put the tape on my poles,
water bottle, and pack, but always left some on the snow  poles.

Goforth