[pct-l] Sleeping Bags, Down vs Synthetic

Hooey,  my original Polarguard bag went through 9 straight days of rain and
serious cold in the PNW thoroughly soaked and I slept damp but warm.  Compared
to a down bag you couldn't do what I did with mine;  literally ring the
majority of water out.   In a wet-anticipated year I would definately carry a
synthetic bag, specifically in Washington.

If I were to re-hike (hopefully one day) I would carry a light weight down
bag with a 25 degree rating and a good water resistant outer material from Campo
to the Columbia River and then change over to a synthetic 20 or 25 degree
bag.

Of course, I would be moving slow and would expect to get to Washington in
late August, when Fall weather and temperatures can begin to change in an early
year.  For someone who plans to go ultra light and average 30 miles per day
and finish in early August a down bag all of the way could probably work.

YMMV,

Greg
"Strider"
Hummel

P.S. The old Polarguard bag, originally a 15 degree bag is now a good summer
bag that I would rate at about 35 degrees.  It is a lot heavier now and
compresses less than when it was new, most likely due to the amount of dust and body
oil that it has semi-permanently absorbed!