[pct-l] Sleeping Bags, Down vs Synthetic

In a message dated 11/21/03 12:24:06 PM, scrookham@hotmail.com writes:

<< This seems like a huge issue to me because I've heard and
read so many horror stories about hikers with wet sleeping bags. I >>

Well, the thing is, if you have a down bag you devise strategies such as
wrapping it plastic sacks to prevent it from ever becoming wet
 A lot of wet bags are the result of choosing a poor campsite. A lot of
people seem to prefer flat ones. Only problem is it's hard to detect small
depressions that will collect water and cause puddles to form under your tent/shelter.
If you camp on a slight incline, the puddle problem is greatly reduced. We're
talking Cascades and Olympics. Sierras of course are much drier, but they get
their share of summer thunderstorms, that are largely absent when thru hikers
are going thru.