[pct-l] Campo-Lake Moreno

Just completed 20 day hike from Campo to Lake Moreno. Thanks to all on the digest who assisted. We met 2 new friends thru the digest who accompanied us on our journey. I did not know what to expect. We took our tourist photos at the beginning trail marker. The border itself was very interesting, a long metal fence for as far as the eye could see in each direction. Peaking thru the orange size holes Mexico looks like "more of the same terrain". I found it interesting there was some type of road equipment working on a "dirt rd" on the Mexican side.

Trip took us about 8hr w/ about 45min of breaks. It started out in bright sun, I was wondered if I had enough water. Being from WA & CO I forgot how hot desert hiking could be. Luckily some clouds came around and a breeze so we ended up w/enough water. I would strongly recommend carrying 4 qt of water. There was not a drop of water on the trail. We did not see another hiker all day. At the border there was alot of tumble weed and brush down on the trail. The trail was a little "overgrown" and difficult to follow around Campo but our local friends knew the way. Temps were in mid 70's and got cooler as night came.

The terrain was very gradual, I think we gained a 1000 ft as we went over Hauser Mt. Then we went steeply down to Hauser canyon/wilderness area. You can see the trail going steeply up the other side to a "pass" w/a large butte on the left. One wonders when are we ever going to get to the "bottom" to start climbing back up for the switchbacks are long.  While coming down to Hauser canyon one comes a a border patrol rd--be sure to go right, & downhill on the road, it seems like 1/2mi but it may be a much shorter distance,  to pick up the trail again left of the road. All the elevation we lost we had to gain back. I think our start elev was 2800 ft, our high point was 3200 ft approx, don't know our end, Lake Moreno elev. There is a sign that says 5.1 mi to Lake Moreno. I was glad to see that sign, it meant 3/4 of our journey was complete. But it seemed like a long 5mi.

It was a great experience, I'd like to do more on my next trip to CA. However, Im spoiled by all the trees and scenery we have in WA. The PCT is such a contrast, starting in the desert and ending in forest, having stretches above treeline. I admire all who are able to complete the whole journey, I dont think my feet could take it.