From: "Greg Bell" <absurdist@socal.rr.com>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 7:13 PM
Subject: [pct-l] Hello/Goodbye

My name is Greg Bell, trailname is Sarge. I'm a 39 year old computer
tech and Army National Guard infantryman from the greater L.A. area. I
haven't thru-hiked any of our national scenic trails yet, but plan to
do the PCT in 2005. I've been hiking/backpacking in the San Gabriel and
San Bernardino mountains since I was a teenager, and over the past 5
years or so have broadened my mountain experiences with trips into the
Sierra.

It's Interesting that we're introducing ourselves at this particular
time, as the government is sending me, along with the rest of my
National Guard unit, on a year-and-a-half-long, all-expenses-paid
"working vacation" which includes a year in the Middle East. Since I'll
be reporting for active duty in less than a week, I won't be on the
list or even have this email address much longer. So, I guess this is
both hello and goodbye (temporarily, at least - If I have access to the
Internet while I'm playing in the big sandbox, I'll re-subscribe).

As I said, I plan to thru-hike the PCT in 2005 after I return from
Iraq. The government's plan right now is for my unit to come off of
active duty in late April/early May of that year and I'll be joining
the class of 2005 as soon as I possibly can upon returning to SoCal.

I look forward to seeing you all out on the trail.

Greg/Sarge
"Speak softly and carry a belt-fed weapon."