[pct-l] Sierra runs

At 01:49 AM 11/7/2003 -0500, CMountainDave@aol.com wrote:
> > Regardless, the effect is the same. I can name a dozen hikers form the
> > class of '02 who got it bad in the Sierra. Before the Sierra, I can think
> > of only one person who got the runs.
>
>Could have been something picked up communally at Kennedy Meadows. Scrounging
>through a hiker box, for instance

It's possible, but doesn't explain why this didn't happen with similar
frequency anywhere else. I met an '01 hiker (Rufus) who trained with me
before my hike. He warned me, "Many people get sick in the Sierra." He had
no idea why.

But now that I think about it, It took me 4 days to get from KM to the
Vidette Meadow where I met my friends and took ill. If it was giardia or
crypto, I likely contracted it before arriving at KM. If it was food
poisoning, the timing seems a bit long.

You raise a good point though, I also plan to picky in what I take from
hiker boxes, too. No opened bags this time, just sealed items.

Tangent