[pct-l] Re: hitching

As a single female hiker, I also take a lot of care
while hitching.  I really don't like it, but have had
only good experiences.

My advice is, contrary to a previous post, approach
people in parking lots whenever possible.  This allows
you to scope out the people whom you ride with before
you get in the car with them.  It also nearly
eliminates the predator (rare though they may be) who
chooses to stop and pick you up.  Instead, you are
choosing to ride with them.  I know you shouldn't
judge on looks alone, but you really feel better as a
lone female when you get a ride with a family w/ kids
or an older couple.  I don't care if it puts people in
a bad spot - they can always say "no, I'm not going
that way" if they don't want to give me a ride.  I
have to look out for myself, too.

When I can't choose a ride, can't wait for hiking
buddies (or there are none around), I put my thumb
out, pray and watch the person carefully before I get
in the car.  I've never turned anyone down, but I have
a made up story that "woops, I forgot something back
on the trail" so that I can easily get out of anything
bad.  I've had really good experiences so far.

Bottom line is to trust your intuition and use your
head.  Try not to hitch alone, but if you can't help
it, just be careful.

My one major warning to lone women hikers is do not
tell strangers where you are camping and do not camp
anywhere near roads under any circumstances.

Nocona