[pct-l] small, blonde, young and hitching

Hi All,
    The last strain of e-mails per hitching has made me think a lot about
safety.  I am small, blonde and young and hitch hiking is my biggest
concern for my PCT hike this coming summer.  There has been mention in
some e-mails that it is easier to get a ride as a lone female, but my
intuition, having grown up in urban Philadelphia, tells me that the
last thing I want is to get a ride from someone interested in picking
up a young female.  Any advice for someone in my position?
    Also, I have never hitch hiked before in my life.  Do people have
general tips (the ones in e-mails so far have been helpful) on
hitching?  Thanks so much for any and all advice!
Becky Selling