[pct-l] California - CCC Closures

Well balancing a budget isn't that simple unfortunately.

Even your comparison to a household budget has a problem. There are fixed
costs such as mortgage, car payment, insurance, and it's not always easy to
just reduce your food budget. A government has the same issues. There are
many things funded each year that don't change. When it comes times to cut
things out of a budget (household or otherwise), you look for things that
are not "life threatening". Obviously you can't decide to save money by not
paying your mortgage or rent. You still have to eat and wear clothes and
most likely you need a car in order to keep your income. A state budget has
to look at things the same way. They can't just stop making payments on
thier loans. They must continue to fund things like law enforcement, fire
protection, roads maintenance, etc. They may be able to reduce the amounts
needed in those programs, but you can't always just cut the same % that your
budget has decreased. If my budget went down 20% and I can only take 10% out
of my roads expenditures, then I have to find places I can cut further.

Unfortunately, things like parks and trails are not "life threatening"
services. I am not saying they are not important or that they do not deserve
funding, but I am able to understand why these types of programs get cut in
poor financial times. For example, I work for a city government in the IT
dept. We are in a pretty bad budget crunch, so the city council just
approved a staff reduction (ie job cuts). My department didn't lose anyone
because, frankly, we are already pretty lean. We have a total staff
(including the dept manager) of only 6 people for 400-500 users. The
department that got hit the hardest was our Parks & Rec department. They
employed a lot of people to help out at various rec sites doing things like
renting out skates at the ice rink, or checking out basketballs at one of
the rec centers. While these services are valuable and needed, things like
water, sewer, and trash are more important to more citizens.

Everyone on this list hates to see the CCC lose funding. We are the folks
who will personally feel the effects of changes to the CCC. You have to
realize that not all Californians get any direct benefit from the CCC's
efforts. While the CCC may be a priority to you, it isn't for many others
(possible the majority). I'm sure however, that everyone would agree that
things like roads and electricity and clean water ARE priorities.

I'm not trying to flame you or anything. I hope you don't take this as a
personal attack Dude :-) I'm just trying to perhaps give you a different
perspective. I really hope the CCC does not die. I know several people who
worked for them. I have benefited from their trail work. Luckily, us
outdoors/hiker folks are pretty enthusiastic about our trails and hopefully
we will be able to organize enough volunteer effort to take up some of the
slack.