[pct-l] Bear Killed in Section D

On a more positive note, I just returned from a couple of days around
the Mammoth Lakes area.  I saw a sow and her three cubs sleeping along
the shore of Lake Mary, across the road from one of the campgrounds.
 When I mentioned the sighting to one of the stationary rangers in town,
I was told that the campgrounds have been so effective in *not* feeding
the bears, that the bruins are getting frustrated what with winter
coming on.  In retaliation it seems, the bears have taught themselves to
look for pieces of cord trailing into the water around the perimeter of
the lake shore.  They have discovered that the cord usually has fish
attached at the other end. <g>

FWIW, I also swung by Whitney Portal, the second time in as many months.
 No bears seen, no trashed cars sighted, and no glass on the tarmac, in
either of the parking lots, and the one campground I passed through.