[pct-l] Tarptent in heavy rain

After much debate, I still think the Tarptent is the best option out there
for a PCT thru-hike (for me anyway).  Other tarps are lacking the bug
protection.  Thanks for the info about wearing nylon shells and bug screen
head nets to sleep but that's not for me.  I don't think I could sleep
with a head net on.  Plus I like the ease of setup with the Tarptent. But
the one-person Virga is more for one small person.  I would suggest to
anyone who may be thinking about getting a Tarptent to get the two person
Squall.  With the extra 4oz. its still lighter than any other tarp that
has bug protection (at least as far as I know).  Plus there's extra room
in case you get lucky on the trail! :)  Thanks Henry, I think I will
upgrade to the Squall.

I debated going back to a tent and I think the Helliberg Akto is probably
the best lightweight tent out there (again, that's my opinion). But its
3.75 pounds and I don't want to carry the extra weight.  That's a lot of
snickers bars.

Later all,
Steve
PCT 2004